Yesterday I shared several prayer requests. Today it seems that everyone in church was full of praise and stories of how God is working in their lives!
How appropriate that Sharyn and Brian and Nancy sang, “My Redeemer Lives” and “Trading my Sorrows”! God is alive and well and very active in Long Lake and beyond!
And how appropriate that Pastor John’s lesson was about how we need to put down what we’re doing and follow Jesus (Luke 9:59-62)! We are desperate for God’s love, guidance, grace, and mercy! There are many unknowns in this life, and life is scarey. We are lost without God’s love. God wants us to trust Him. That’s why He sends His mentors and angels to guide us. We can live a new life through Christ (Romans 6:3-5). “Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, the new creation has come: The old has gone, the new is here!” (2 Corinthians 5:17). What great promises God has for us if we will cross the threshold and follow Him! “Then he said to them all: “Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves and take up their cross daily and follow me” (Luke 9:23). God does not promise us that our walk with Him in this world will be easy (John 15:19), but He does promise that He will send His angels and the Holy Spirit to guide us. “I can do all this through him who gives me strength” (Philippians 4:13).
Thanks to Cara, for sharing your gift of song with us!
We’ve received an update from Dawn and Ken Bishop, missionaries to Albania that we support (click here to see their most recent newsletter). And Chris has given us a visual progress report on the Community Garden. Praise God for a great growing season for the garden!
Please continue to pray for many of our neighbors: Steve, Missy, Lenora, Loree, Janet Lee, our Youth, Art, Donald, Alice, Annette, the folks in Haiti… God knows each and every need and concern!
“Be joyful always; pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus” (1 Thess 5:16, 17, 18).
There will be a huge sale at Long Lake Wesleyan Church on the following dates: Friday August 10 and Saturday August 11, and Friday August 31 and Saturday September 1. This sale is to benefit Haiti! We need donations! Please leave items in the left side of the church garage. Hang clothes in the Fellowship Hall. All items will be a donation unless you price it or ask for it to be priced. We need help at the beginning of the 2 weeks to set up. We also need help on Sat. August 11 during the sale. If you can help or have items to be picked up, call Venita at 624-6324.
It was a great pleasure to have the CBC Worship Team make a joyful noise unto the Lord in church with us today! Brian & Sharon Penrose and their fellow musicians…
And “the newest member of our group, Chase!” No, Chase promises that he isn’t going back to NJ with them!
And Kathryn reports, “Great turn out at the concert and thank you to all who donated and came tonight!!!!! The youth raised just over $200.00 and we couldn’t have done it with out you all!!!! THANK YOU! ”
Thanks for all that you’re doing for our Youth Group, Kathryn!
Hey everyone, we need people to bring food (i.e. hot dogs, buns, and drinks) for the youth to sell tomorrow night at the concert! Please bring what you can. Thanks!
As a reminder: Tomorrow night (July 20) is Community Night at the Long Lake Pavilion. The action starts at 5:30 and runs until about 9 p.m. Music will be provided by the CBC Worship Team. Come out for food (hot dogs, hamburgers, soda, etc.), fellowship and worship! Invite someone to this outreach event!
Here’s the Concert flyer.
Don’t forget! This Friday night is Community Night at the Long Lake Pavilion! Friday, July 20 from 5:30 – 9 p.m., music will be provided by the CBC Worship Team. Come out for food, fellowship and worship! Here’s a Concert flyer that you can print and share with others for this outreach event.
- Kathryn is doing a great job with our Youth group. See her to ask how you can help — serving as a Chaperone or providing food for the kids to enjoy at their Sunday evening meetings. Thanks!
- New Member classes started on July 8 and run through July 29; they meet during the Sunday School hour. Contact Pastor John for details and to sign up.
- We are raising funds for a new, higher-powered projector for the sanctuary. If you would like to contribute to that fund, please mark your offering envelope “Projector.”
- Beginning on Saturday, July 28th, we will be starting a Saturday evening service at 7:00 p.m. at LLWC. We need help running the nursery as well as the worship team. If you are interested in either, see Pastor John.
- Community Garden — See how our garden grows! Make plans to contact Chris for some fresh produce that you can take to a neighbor, and invite them to come to LLWC with you! You probably have a neighbor who is waiting for you to invite them so they can see what’s happening in the church on the hill!
- We are collecting coins for our WKFM to go to Hephzibah Children’s Home in Macon, GA during school break in February 2013. Please support as you are able; there’s a box in the back entryway. Thanks!
- Joys and concerns — Please pray and reach out to those who have not been in church lately.
- “The opposite of love is not hate, it’s indifference. The opposite of beauty is not ugliness, it’s indifference. The opposite of faith is not heresy, it’s indifference. And the opposite of life is not death, but indifference between life and death” (Elie Wiesel, Holocaust survivor, in US News & World Report, 27 October 1986).
- “Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another”
Many years ago, a pastor told me that 70% of people don’t come to church because they’ve never been invited! Please consider taking some fresh produce from the Community Garden to a neighbor and saying, “by the way, you’re invited to come to church with me any Sunday! You can learn more about our church location, meeting times, etc. here.” (See Chris Thompson to see what’s available from the Community Garden.) As Pastor John taught us today, God is calling us to do great things! We just have to say, “Yes, Lord!”
Harry Adams passed away on Saturday, July 7th. Harry and Annette attended LLWC for many years.
The viewing for Harry’s memorial will be at Long Lake Wesleyan Church, from 2-5 PM and 7-9 PM on Friday July 13th, with the funeral service at 11 AM Saturday the 14th. Please keep Annette, Jimmy, and Maryann in your prayers.
Amy Gocke reminds us that there are several options for camp this summer:
We have two newsletters from our Missionaries. You can see Karen and Jim Pickett’s newsletter here, and see Dawn and Ken Bishop’s newsletter here.
Did you see that the potatoes are in bloom in the Community Garden? Chris says, “These are Peter Wilcox cultivar which we are trialing on a small scale this year. Purple skin and yellow flesh. Sound good?” How will you use the produce from our Community Garden for outreach to your neighbors?
From Pastor John: “please remember Harry Adams in your prayers tonight. I visited him today and talked to his medical team and he is in serious condition. Annette will especially need our prayers and support in the days to come.”