In addition to the regular announcements below, here are a few new ones:
- At yesterday’s community Thanksgiving dinner at the church, we served 95 – 100 dinners! About 22 of those were deliveries to folks in our community. Last year we served 85 — praise God for this community outreach dinner and all who made it possible! You can see some pictures here.
- Join the Christian community of Long Lake and Newcomb for the opening of the crèche at the Long Lake Town Hall following morning church services (about 12:15 pm) on Sunday, December 8th. After the opening of the crèche, join us for carols and a pot luck lunch at the Town Hall. Please bring a dish to share.
- We are still taking donations to help a village in the Philippines. All donations go directly to a pastor over there who uses them as needed.
- Look for announcements each week on Facebook at: https://www.facebook.com/LongLakeWesleyanChurch
- Read daily meditations and scriptures for revival in Long Lake as we pray collectively for a movement of the Spirit: https://www.facebook.com/groups/RevivalLongLake/
- Share prayer requests and praises real time at: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Guideboat/
- Note the “Donate” button on the right side of the screen. You can safely and securely make donations via PayPal or credit cards to LLWC.
Here are the regular events and meetings throughout the week:
- Monday night at 7:00 pm: Bible Study in Tupper Lake Public Library Community Room (enter at the back, lower entrance): 41 Lake St. Tupper Lake.
- Tuesday morning Mens’ prayer group meets at 6:30 am.
- Tuesday night at 7:00 pm: AA meets in the lower level.
- Wednesday night Prayer Meeting is at 6:00 pm. We are studying scriptures related to revival.
- Wednesday at 9:00 am: Ladies Bible Study. This Wed is the 10th and last session of this Bible Study by Sheila Walsh from Women of Faith.
- Thursday night small group meets from 7 to 9 PM. You are invited!
- Saturday nights: Fusion Youth ministry meets from 7-9 pm. Come out for games and and Bible study and bring a friend!
- Sunday Evening Bible Study meets at 6:00 pm. Bunny Austin is leading a study of the Gospels.
And we have updates from Jody & Jerry Manwaring and Veronica Thompson.
In the Adirondacks we have an inspiring history that goes all the way back to the mid 19th century. The simple looking guideboat was a humble looking but pivotal object used for transportation, carrying freight, hunting, trapping, fishing and even getting people to church. It came to be known as the guideboat and its innovation shaped the region. As the reputation grew of these little boats for their swiftness and usefulness for sportsman the demand grew for these boats and their talented guides that rowed them.
This cross between a canoe and a rowboat was the right size for a passenger and a guide and at the same time not too heavy for the guide to hoist it on his shoulders and carry it over land to the next lake of the journey for the guide and the passenger.
When the day was at end for the guide and hunters traversing the rugged waters and they were physically weary from all the “carries” of boat and gear across the solid land of the day the nighttime activities began. The guide would set up camp, cook dinner from the catch of the day and afterwards entertain the passenger with stories of adventures on the trails or tutor the passenger for the hunt the next day.
Guides even made larger boats 18 feet and longer to take groups of people to church. That is our purpose at Long Lake Church in the 21st century is to host you at our “Church Guide Boat” on Sunday mornings at 11 AM. Our calling is to take you spiritually to areas of great fishing for your purpose in life and hunting for exuberance about life, serenity, loyalty and compassion and a conviction that a basic holiness permeates things and people. Now is the time to be a part of the revival happening in the Adirondacks.